Thursday, October 4, 2018

Bike Commuting Update

So far, since I wrote "Cycling for the Planet" on 13 September, I've biked exactly 1 time to work. ONE TIME. And that was on 14 September. In the last 2 weeks I haven't bike commuted at all. My reasons are varied - I have to be at work at 6am at a different office to go out in the field, I went to the gym first, I have to run errands after, it's pouring down rain (that's a major one) for days on end. Partially valid but also probably I'm making excuses because I'm terrified of it.

Louisiana has the 2nd highest rate of bicyclist deaths in the US at 3.9/100,000. Since 2015, 93 cyclists have been killed in Louisiana [source]. It's currently 2018, so that's ~30 a year just for Louisiana. THIRTY. That's 30 too many. Nationwide, 840 cyclists were killed in 2016. For comparison, only 206 cyclists were killed in the Netherlands in 2017. However it's important to note that cyclists are far more common in the Netherlands, and 2/3rds of the deaths are seniors over age 65 [source].

I knew all of this already, but the anti bike culture has rapidly gotten worse. Drivers just plain have it out for cyclists. Baton Rouge city councilman Buddy Amoroso was killed by a driver while cycling, and he's not the only one.

West Feliciana Parish responded by putting the onus on the cyclist to make the roads safe for drivers, instead of vice versa. The new rules require cyclists to wear a certain amount of high vis clothing, have front and rear lights with 0.5 mile visibility (is that even possible?), ride within 2 feet of the edge of the road, and ride in groups of <10 and with at least 0.25mi between groups. What?

There's been so much outrage about it that I don't understand. Drivers saying they are tired of being inconvenienced by cyclists, and "arguing that people who visit West Feliciana just for biking shouldn't get to dictate how residents use their own roads" [source].

Drivers are tired of being inconvenienced, and would rather complain and have road rage than advocate for a solution that benefits all. The solution is bike lanes. Drivers should want them so cyclists have their own space, and cyclists want them so they have their own space. It's safer for everyone. But in these backwards times anger and restriction is apparently winning.

So long story short, I'm scared of it. I was all excited to reduce my carbon footprint and be a better environmental advocate but I'm plain scared. I often get to work pretty early so I'm nervous about riding my bike in the pre-dawn times, even with my LED lights. I was recently participating in a road cycling even in West Feliciana Parish and was almost hit by a truck on the same highway Buddy Amoroso was hit on. I had to pull over in somebody's driveway so I could get my composure back. And then another group of cyclists arrived and I jumped in with them. It was terrifying.

I've been anxious about cycling since my near miss, and I'm doubly anxious about increasing my time on theses dangerous roads. I have friends and friends of friends who have been hit by cars. It's probably only a matter of time. So is it better to cycle or be safe? I'm going to choose safe and hope that someday Baton Rouge changes it's tune or that I can live in a far more bike friendlier place.

I've biked in the Netherlands, and it was fantastic. Bikes are the majority, drivers are safe, bike lanes are literally everywhere, and it's just such a rewarding and enjoyable experience. In Baton Rouge it's terrifying, the roads are awful, and there's just so much stress, anxiety, and anger. I may still ride occasionally when the weather is nice but I am too nervous otherwise and don't want to risk everything.


More information:

Baton Rouge Councilman Buddy Amoroso killed in West Feliciana crash; man arrested
The Baton Rouge Advocate, 6/30/2018, accessed 10/3/2018

West Feliciana council passes new bicycle ordinance despite heated criticism from cyclists
The Baton Rouge Advocate, 10/3/2018, accessed on 10/3/2018

The Most Dangerous Place to Bicycle in America
The Wall Street Journal, 9/25/2018, accessed 10/3/2018

Risky riding? Report says Louisiana second most dangerous state for cyclists
The Baton Rouge Advocate, 10/1/2018, accessed 10/4/2018

More cycling fatalities than deaths in cars
Bicycle Dutch, 4/25/2018, accessed 10/4/2018

Biking Pol is Killed, So Louisiana Parish Blames Cyclists
Streets Blog USA, 8/6/2018, accessed 10/4/2018

Jeff Sadow: Amoroso's death highlights need for better bike safety enforcement in Louisiana
The Baton Rouge Advocate, 7/7/2018, accessed 10/4/2018

Deadliest States For Cyclists: Per Capita Fatality Rates
Governing.com, accessed 10/4/2018

No comments:

Post a Comment