Sunday, June 2, 2019

Shopping Ban: Month 8 update!

It's been ages since I wrote an update about my shopping ban but that's mostly because I've been cruising following my guidelines. I started on 1 October 2018, and I modified the rules of the game starting on 1 April 2019. Since my last update in March, I've traveled a ton for work, took 1 overseas trip to Scotland, visited friends in Denver, and traveled some more for work.

Things I've purchased since my March update:
1. 2 magnets + 1 book while in Scotland
2. New running shoes
3. A dress for a wedding last minute

#1 falls into the travel souvenirs category of which I am allowed to purchase select items while abroad.

#2 falls into the fitness related purchases when necessary category, and new running shoes were definitely necessary.

#3 was a last minute purchase that was demanded by the bride and while I'm aggravated about the purchase I do enjoy the dress so I will get much use out of it in the future (hopefully) at least. Originally I was supposed to wear a dress I already had, which would have been the best option, but I had to abide the bride's demands. So there's that one.

Overall it's been pretty slow on the shopping ban front. I have purchased nothing I didn't need or didn't meet the parameters of the challenge (except the 1 dress). So it's been a bit quiet!

I haven't honestly been tempted except for yesterday when I contemplated buying a tank top to support Skype a Scientist. And I may still do that, but I'm going to continue to contemplate it first. This potential purchase falls into the "Purchases for a cause" category in that the proceeds benefit Skype a Scientist. I've also been contemplating a purchase from Nurdle in the Rough but haven't taken the plunge on that one yet either, which also falls in this category.

I am in need of some shorts because it's a zillion degrees here during the summer so I will be scouring the secondhand shops in the next week or two for shorts that fit!

The good news is that I'm no longer tempted by the average purchases, I have no desire to shop, and I'm way more consciously considering each and every purchase. So I consider this experiment a success and will continue down this path!

No comments:

Post a Comment