New episode alert!!! Dr Blake Grisham (who is one of my very best friends) and I talk about our friendship, our mutual love of swallow-tailed kites, the value of friendship in science, and all the adventures we've gone on together!! #StorytellersofSTEMM https://t.co/68dHbKUmE0— Rachel Villani (@flyingcypress) April 15, 2020
Today's episode features Dr Blake Grisham (who is one of my very best friends) where he & I talk about our friendship, our mutual love of swallow-tailed kites, the value of friendship in science, and all the adventures we've gone on together!
I always share lots of links and information on my Twitter (@flyingcypress) and on the Storytellers of STEMM Facebook Page, but I also will consolidate it here!
- You can find Blake on Instagram (@ecostats_TTUNRM) to see what his lab and research partners are up to.
- Blake is a professor at Texas Tech in Lubbock TX and their student chapter of The Wildlife Society has been running Friday night conversations called Wildlife Semi-Filtered. You can join them this week on Friday 4/17 at 7pm CDT for a talk on skunks! https://www.twitch.tv/ttu_tws/
- More info on TTU TWS can be found at The Wildlife Society at Texas Tech Facebook page - https://facebook.com/TTUTWS
- Blake has loads of awesome science in progress and here's his list of publications: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Blake_Grisham
- Blake is a professor at Texas Tech. In his own words: "My research focuses on the conservation and management of game and non-game bird species in context of a changing climate." https://www.depts.ttu.edu/nrm/people/faculty/faculty_pages/blakegrisham/grisham.php
- Blake & I met at the The Wildlife Society's 2005 Southeast Student Conclave hosted at the University of Florida. Each region has a student conclave hosted at different university each year. As a student in #wildlife it's a great way to meet classmates! https://wildlife.org
- We went on a field trip to Cedar Keys National Wildlife Refuge (that's where we met!), which I remember as being awesome! https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Cedar_Keys/ The place that solidified our friendship was Sherburne WMA in the Atchafalaya Basin. He was working on his master's and trapping turkeys, and I was working on a bird banding project. Info about Sherburne: https://wlf.louisiana.gov/page/sherburne
- I was bird banding with MAPS: Monitoring Avian Productivity & Survivorship. It's a standardized protocol by the Institute for Bird Populations https://birdpop.org/pages/maps.php
- The roadtrip I talk about was in 2009, a month long, and traveled around the western US. I've been recapping it on my Twitter @outdoorconserv and on Instagram @outdoorconservation using the hashtag #westernroadtrip2009.
- "Deep in the swamp, having a shit day, and see a swallow-tailed kite and everything's OK now." -me in this episode. Yep. Exhibit A of deep in the swamp having a shit day:
No comments:
Post a Comment